Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Last Day in the USA

Today concludes our three week vacation here in America. We arrived at Boston's Logan Airport back on July 19th, Wednesday afternoon. We spent time in Durham, New Hampshire and the surrounding areas, including all the way up the Maine coast to Portland and out on the cape to Provincetown, Massachusetts.

Additionally, we took a road trip from NH through Vermont over to Niagara Falls, New York. Then we drove south through western NY and into Pennsylvania stopping in Lancaster, PA in Amish Country. How interesting to see a people that today still are riding in a horse and buggy as their main form of transportation. Then we continued our road trip east and north towards New York City where the highs were approaching 103 degrees F or 40 degrees C. Needless to say it was warm, muggy and smelly in NYC, but we visited with a dear friend I've known for many, many years. Finally, we included a side trip flying from Boston to San Francisco...

Now I am sitting in an airport hotel near Boston's Logan Airport waiting for my evening departure to Germany and contemplating our move from Duesseldorf to Amsterdam. I am looking forward to the change of scenery from Germany to Amsterdam. My two favorite cities in the world, thus far, are San Francisco--where I already lived for six years and Amsterdam. There are many reasons why I am looking forward to Amsterdam, but some of them being the government's liberal policies including being the first country in the world to legalize Gay Marriage. I feel the policies of the Dutch government and people are the most aligned with my beliefs.

I hope I end up liking Amsterdam and want to stay there indefinitely because right now I feel a little homeless. Not that we do not have a place to sleep and keep our personal belongings, but I just don't have a place I feel like is home. For example, I love San Francisco and lived there for the last six years (except the last eight months in Duesseldorf--however I was mostly traveling during that time). Also, my mother's side of the family lives in North Carolina and my father's side of the family lives in Florida. I would not like to call either of those places my home. I feel like a visitor when I'm in those locations. There's no sense of connection or grounding to those places, you know what I mean? I use to think San Francisco was my home, but I realize it is too expensive to live there. I want to settle down, buy a home and dig my roots into a location that feels like home. It is a strange feeling--not being connected to some place. So I am hoping Amsterdam becomes that type of place for me. Only time will tell.

My next post will be from Europe. I hope you're all enjoying your summer! Bis bald!

5 Comments:

Anonymous tobias said...

Feeling homeless, that is common, I believe. Especially among people changing countries. But you grow used to it. Most people do, anyway.
As for me, I decided that both Finland and Sweden are home, just to make it a little easier on myself. And you can well throw in Estonia in the package as well, not much difference.
But good luck with Amsterdam, I have never been there, but I am told it is fantastic.

10:47 AM  
Blogger CocteauBoy said...

Did your email stop working after you sent yours to me?? I replied and was all ready to see you, but no response or phone call ever came.

What happened?

[insert sad face]

Troy

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Michael (in D-dorf) said...

Where were you before SF? Before Dusseldorf we were in Wash DC and AZ for a looong time before that. Don't you have some AZ friends or ties, too? Best wishes for your move to Amsterdam!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Amsterdam is a terrific place to visit - curious to know how is will be as "home" ... good luck.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Expat Traveler said...

James - I so know how you feel. Do you know why I left SF area now? I just can't do it either... And I love Europe but I just don't have the same connection you do to stay. I can only hope for that day to come...

In the mean time, Canada is for me...

I think I could live in A'dam too!

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home