Thursday, June 15, 2006

Flying to Florida

Tomorrow morning we are flying non-stop from Duesseldorf to Miami, Florida on LTU. We are going to visit my father and step-mother on the west coast of Florida. I have not seen my father and his side of the family in over a decade so this will be an interesting trip. This time around I will have my partner, Matt, with me. I am not sure exactly why I did not keep in touch with my father, but you know how family can be.

Regular readers will recall that back in late March my partner's mother passed away unexpectedly while on vacation in Spain. That tragic event deeply affected me and of course, my partner. An unexpected death of a loved one gets your wheels turning. You think about what did I say last? What should I have said? Did I tell this relative, friend, partner, daughter, mother, father or son how much I love them? These words you are reading are just words until that dreadful day happens to you. So my advise to you all: Make amends. Stop ignoring your loved ones due to some power trip or proud moment. In the end it is all not worth it. What matters is you stay in contact with your family and friends. Release that grudge you're holding....Let by-gones be by-gones.....Period. End of story.

After our mini-family reunion, we are then heading to Key West for some relaxtion. When I originally contacted my father and tried to chose a good time for us all to have a mini-reunion, I did not realize this Sunday is Father's Day in America. Sometimes in life you end up with strange coincidences that are hard to explain. All I know is this is the right thing to do.

On a more fun note: Today my partner, Matt, and I met up with Ginnie of the great blog, In Soul. She was so nice and we had a good time. Unfortunately, we were only able to spend a few hours with her in Old Town because we had to do some laundry and finish packing for our trip tomorrow. We ate lunch in my favorite cafe, Balthasar. I felt bad that I had to leave her to explore Old Town Duesseldorf herself, but I knew she was going to have a great time taking more photos.

I will try to post from Florida so stay tuned....Have a great weekend everyone!

8 Comments:

Blogger James said...

I tried to upload photos of Ginnie, but blogger is having problems right now...

9:56 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M. said...

I'm Ginnie's niece, Shari. I live on the west coast of Florida in Sarasota...

Are you and Matt near us?

You looked so sweet with my aunt on her blog!

11:42 PM  
Blogger James said...

We are going to be in Port Charlotte for a few days to visit with my dad and his side of the family..

7:43 AM  
Blogger Elle said...

Have a good time and a safe trip J and M!

This post spoke to my heart. I gotta call my dad now. I haven't spoken to him for two years. :(

9:15 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Very good advice, James. I'll be talking to my dad this weekend. Haven't seen him for over two years, but not by choice, but we are in touch regularly.

Have a blast in Florida!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Enjoy Florida, but watch out for tropical depressions, hurricanes, and well, any water that drops down in buckets from the sky. Welcome back to the US!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Well, James, you're both on
my site
in living color!! What a great time for me, and as I said in my post, I still can't believe you spent 2-1/2 hours with me the day before leaving for Miami. I really felt honored! Thank you.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Well you guys did have perfect timing, for two people. :)

IT's great to read yours and Ginnie's blog. Next stop - visiting me. :)

hehe - well ok it's far fetched but I'm guessing our paths will meet eventually.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home