Monday, May 29, 2006

Eurovision and Finland

This year was my first year enjoying the European-wide talent show, Eurovision. M and I were channel-surfing while propping our feet up after a long day of site seeing in Nice. The show was like Star Search meets American Idol. It was very entertaining and kept us glued to the set anxious for the results.

However, I have to say the results were truly troubling to me. Most countries voted for Finland's heavy metal group that had these monster-like masks on. I have never been a fan of heavy metal so this winner just made me mad. Am I that out of touch with the current vibe or do Europeans like heavy metal more than I do?

In my opinion, Turkey should have won. The Turkish act was great. It was probably less original, but definitely more fun to listen to and to watch. The act consisted of a beautiful blonde chirping the typical pop/dance tune while four hot guys danced around her with star-buckled belts. The star, of course, referring to the Turkish flag.

My pick for the winner, Turkey:


but the winner was, Finland:
Link

5 Comments:

Anonymous Adam said...

James, Finland won because it was, in a word, different. The winning songs over the past few years have all been surprisingly similar, so Finland was a breath of fresh air (in my opinion).

Turkey wasn't going to win principally because they won three (I think) years ago. The only way they could have won this year was if their entry was a total KO, which didn't happen... i didn't like their song that much.

You should read up on Eurovision--it's the ultimate in camp for European gays, and a lot of people follow it religiously. I'm passive: I buy the CD when it comes out and listen to all the songs before the show, but I look forward to seeing the show in order to see how well they do live on the stage.

Adam

10:10 PM  
Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

omg, those guys are hot!!

and the finland group, is that a leopard face he has on?? he looks like a giant alley cat! thats weird:)

2:36 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love to watch Eurovision! I'm so sorry I missed it this year. Did you miss Ruslana in 2004 who won with "Wild Dances" and stomped so hard during practice she broke the stage? That act was fun! Dozens of hot guys dressed in leather and fur jumping up and down and hooting this Ukrainian folksong-like rock tune.

Don't pelt me, but I liked Germany's entry this year. The lead singer has a voice like cotton candy. :)

4:38 PM  
Blogger GC PHILO said...

I really liked the German entry too. Country music at its best!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous tobias said...

Lordi were very different at a time when Eurovision could do well with a very different, less formulatic winner... But you can still enjoy the other songs! That's the beauty of Eurovision! :)

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home