Sunday, March 19, 2006

Zapata


Zapata, originally uploaded by James in Germany.

We ate at this Mexican restaurant last night in Oberkassel, a neighborhood in Duesseldorf located across the Rhine. I was pleasantly surprised how authentic the food was. The chips and salsa was very tasty. We ordered guacamole for the chips and even that was delicious. I ordered a fish burrito which was sehr lecker! ('very delicious' auf Deutsch) The fish was a white, flaky variety grilled to perfection. It contained black bleans and a delicious creamy sauce poured over the flour tortilla. Even their margaritas were good! They were made exactly the same way they're made in the US and Mexico. I mention this because I have ordered margaritas at other bars in Germany and they never come out right. For example, one time the waitress brought the margarita and it was green, no ice, in a martini glass. It looked like a green cosmopolitan and didn't taste anything like a margarita. So the ones made at Zapata's are authentic.

I now have a new, favorite restaurant. If you're ever in Duesseldorf and you're missing some good Mexican food, go to Zapata.

4 Comments:

Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Sounds wonderful. There is a place in Brunnen Switzerland that seems to be the same way. I loved going there because the chips and the drinks were so good. And they have fajitas to die for... At least in my book that is way better than any food restaurant in the sF bay area...

Congrats! I miss that here in Vancouver but I've got one friend who's promised me that they do have mexican although far away from where I live. Must go soon!

1:35 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Hmmm. I'll have to see if there is an equivalent in Hannover. We LOVE Mexican food!

4:47 PM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

What I wouldn't give for decent mexican food right about now. So far I've only seen one tex-mex restaurant in Dresden, simply called (and this is literally what's on the sign) 'Tex-Mex, Steak & Other'. Seems dubious at best.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

sounds yummy! (minus the fish)

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home