Sunday, March 26, 2006

A Day at the Races in Duesseldorf!

Today we spent a nice, warm afternoon in Duesseldorf strolling in Old Town along the Rhine and catching a quick view of some race cars zipping around Konigsallee. Even all the shops were open in Old Town today. YES! On Sunday, all the shops were open here in Duesseldorf. It was great!

There were so many people out today due to the race and some concert where Melanie C was performing. I didn't know who she was, but found out she is a former member of the Spice Girls. She was in Duesseldorf for the DTM Auto Racing event held at Konigsallee today. I tried to capture some of the racing action via snapshots, but I was never able to capture the cars because they were just zipping by. I have a few Google Videos uploaded of the action that I was able to capture. It is mostly video of a few blurs of them wizzing by...

Today it was so warm out. It definitely was the warmest day yet since I have moved to Germany three months ago. I love the warm, sunny days. Today it reached a high of 63 degrees F or 17 degrees C. After the races, we went to Old Town to stroll along the Rhine and we found a nice table where we could sip some beers and do some people watching. Afterwards, we walked into the middle of Duesseldorf and visited a cool lounge for a few drinks. Finally, we went home for the evening. Overall, today was a very nice, calm Sunday.

Here are a few impressions we had today.

Waiting for the race cars to zip by:



I have seen this billboard all around Duesseldorf and today I had my camera and wanted to share this cute ad with you all:


Killepitsch! If you can find this where you live, I highly recommend that you try it! It makes you all warm and fuzzy:


This was our last stop today before heading back to our apartment:

10 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

Okay, first I was jealous of the Mexican and Margaritas. Now it is the weather. All it does here is rain. However, I have a one-up! I know who Melanie C. is. Wait is that a one-up or just sad . . .?

8:35 PM  
Blogger James said...

Claire: Let's just say it is one-up. ;)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

James you poor thing, I never thought of it being only your third month or so here. You must think you've died and gone to Siberia. Let me give you some hope. Last summer was one of the most temperate and lovely I've ever experienced in my life here in Aachen. The two summers before that we had loads of sunshine and about 2-3 weeks of nearly desert heat. It will get better!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hejhej, I think I recognize the place in the last picture. You have to try the food there as well, it's really, really good. Really! If you are in that area again, also try the Alte Metzgerei just across the street, the Erbse for delicious breakfast, the Beethoven just for everything. And if you like chinese food the Böser Chinese - but avoid the crowded weekends at all costs.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Belinda said...

I'm so glad you're settling in nicely here! I've been loving this weather...when i wake up i can barely wait to go out. I feel like i've been trapped inside all damn winter :o|

You and your sweetie have a good week now! :D

1:07 PM  
Blogger Expat Traveler said...

looks great! And definitely a great city to live in. It seems there is always so much going on... I'm glad you didn't know that chick was a spice girl...haha

6:27 PM  
Blogger J said...

Perhaps Aachen is in a different climatical zone than the rest of the country, because last summer and the summer before sucked (I remember whining about it). It rained for most of July and August and I remember Christina and Haddock also had similar weather. The only real summer we've had in the time I've been here was 2003. It was blazing hot from May - Sept and I loved every minute of it. However, since you're from the Bay Area, you and I probably don't agree on what a good 'summer' is (Jen and I have very different definitions of 'summer').

2:08 PM  
Blogger J said...

Oh, and I love the sign.
'I am a flying jelly donut'

2:10 PM  
Anonymous mikey said...

We missed a Spice Girl?!? We were out enjoying the weather around the Mediahafen neighborhood.

We'll have to try Zapato's. The menu looks a little Tex-Mexy, but that will be much better than anything else we've had here (some really funny food in Achen).

mike

4:01 PM  
Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

*sigh* I miss Germany, have I mentioned that?:)
have fun, enjoying the city!
kim

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home