Sunday, January 22, 2006

Going to the movies in Germany

Last night we went to see "The Constant Gardener" and of course it was in English because I would not understand it in German yet. The movie was ok, but the best part is the theatre. Did you know in Germany you can drink a beer at the movies? What a great idea. Why can't we do that in America? Another great idea is assigned seating. When you go to a movie in Germany you can pick your seat in advance and then your ticket contains the exact seat assignment. What a great idea! Again, why don't we do that in America? You can even chose your seats in advance and print the tickets out on your home computer. One other note about the Kino (or movies) in Germany: all of the commercials before the movie starts are played...then the lights come back on, the curtain closes and you are given about 5-7 minutes to go to the bathroom or to the concession stand before they actually start the movie. The theatre we visited last night, CineStar in the Oberkassel district of Duesseldorf has FOUR movies at a time in English. It's great! The underground stop across from our apartment goes straight to the theatre and the stop is only one block from the theatre so it can't get any more convenient. Finally, I have some photos of Duesseldorf to post that I've taken over the weekend:

Here is a McDonald's close to may apartment, but I haven't eaten there:

This is a statue in a park near my partner's office:

Liza Minnelli is playing in Duesseldorf March 3rd, notice the street car wizzing by:

This is the building where my partner works:

13 Comments:

Blogger Haddock said...

It's great drinking a beer at the Kino. I limit myself as it's a royal pain leaving the seat (if sat in the middle of a row) to go to the loo! :)

3:39 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

I love these photos, James, especially the one of the statue near your partner's office. What is that in her hand? I can't quite make it out.

Btw, I'm adding a link to your site on my own. I need to see how you and your Lebenspartner do in Germany, since Donica and I are here together half the year.

3:51 PM  
Blogger James said...

Ginnie, I will add you to my blog roll. You're in Atlanta sometimes, too, right? The statue is of a woman playing lawn bowling or something like that....

Haddock, I know what you mean. I had one beer and had to get up twice. I dont think I will be drinking beer at the Kino again.

4:12 PM  
Blogger James said...

Oh yeah, Ginnie, you know you can click on the photo and it then directs you to a new webpage where the photo is very large...fyi in case you didn't know...

4:13 PM  
Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Love the photos James. Thanks for the tour, especially since I don't know when the next time I'll be getting back to Europe will be! We're 2 now and just not the single me anymore...

5:22 PM  
Blogger Expat Traveler said...

james - how hard was it for your partner to find a job in germany? And what type of work does he do? And type of work do you do? I'm curious, but of course if you don't want to answer this here, maybe you can email me. If you can't get to my email (sorry I get way too much spam), then I'll email you from your account.

:) Jen

5:24 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Yeah, aren't German theaters cool? I love them. I swear the first time I saw someone boldly bring beer into a movie I thought I was going to fall out of my seat.

I highly recommend the Cinedome in Cologne. It's the big one in the middle of the media park. It has the longest free-hanging escalator in Europe. Definitely a kick. And there's a little restaurant on the side that serves a killer fresh salad.

Love the pics too! Keep up the good work. This is a great blog!

5:48 PM  
Blogger James said...

Jen, email me: jashburn94115 at yahoo.com
I dont mind answering your questions... :)

9:20 PM  
Blogger J said...

Looks like we both had the same idea yesterday, the main difference being that you don't have to travel far to see movies in English like I do. Also, you couldn't pick your own seat in the cinema I went to.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Yes, James, I know about clicking on the photo to make it larger. I had an idea it might be a lawn-bowling ball but wasn't sure.

Thanks for adding my link (aww shucks! :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

The best part about seeing movies in English where I live is that there aren't loads of English speakers here and therefore less people to deal with.

12:15 AM  
Blogger James said...

Dixie, I agree to that! Usually the theatre is close to empty so it is great. It's like your own private showing.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only beer? No wine?

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home