Saturday, January 28, 2006

Duesseldorf tour

Today we toured Duesseldorf by car because we really haven't done that yet. It was nice to get out and about getting to know the city we live in. We started out at Media Harbor. The architecture in this area is truly stunning (for all the photos taken today click on my green Flickr badge in the right-hand column):


This is a shot of the Rhine and Duesseldorf from inside the tower:

I had to post these two photos. In this parking garage they have parking spots close to the entrance that are for woman only. Can you believe that?

This is the designator painted in the parking spot. "Woman-only" parking:

UPDATE: I had a discussion with M about the "woman-only" parking and I guess it is a good idea. I am sure the woman appreciate this option to be close to the entrance and not have to walk through an underground parking garage at night by themselves. You never know what kind of freak is lurking around the corner...

8 Comments:

Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Wow - interesting. I've never seen that anywhere in Germany where I went, and of course France or Switzerland for that matter. I'm guessing it's meant for older woman or for safety issues at night. It would be interesting to find out why they have these spots.

I can't bring myself to go up to our Vancouver tower. But maybe I'll think of going to the one in Seattle..

6:35 PM  
Blogger Calvin said...

Yeah, I can't say that I've ever seen any of those parking spaces here in Frankfurt either. But then again, I don't drive so I don't frequent many German parking lots.

But Dusseldorf looks pretty cool. I keep meaning to go there to go for some good sushi.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Nyana said...

Oh my is all I have to say! They say Dusseldorf is the Paris of Germany. Some of the buildings are actually designed by a renowned architect named Frank Gehry - he's Canadian. Check out his work cuz this man is really amazing.
I'm looking forward to more interesting fotos James.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

At some department stores they have parking places "for women with children only". That must burn the buns of all men (in general), men with children, older women, and women without spawn.

Next they'll be selling prop car seats, or have rent-a-kid kiosks near the entrance so people can park in those spaces and get away with it. :) (<-- hey! I just discovered an untapped market!)

9:36 AM  
Blogger jen said...

The first time I saw those parking spaces I thought, "What an enlightened and friendly country. Why don't we have those in the US.

Then I am a woman who uses parking lots at night.

It is a safety thing. I also see a ton of parking spaces for women with children or families with children. They take second place to the disabled spots. Mostly at non-discount grocery stores and in large shopping areas.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Katja said...

I love those parking spaces, but unfortunately, there aren't many... Usually, I try not to park in a parking garage at all, when I am out alone at night!

7:22 PM  
Blogger J said...

How lovely. I've thought about visiting Dusseldorf a few times, and now know that I want to make it up there.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never tought about that this "woman-Only" Parking spaces are interesting.
i just belive that they are normal

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home