Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Der Regenschirm


The above photo is the the view out of my living room window today. It is raining obviously and I went to my German language course this morning without my umbrella oder in deutsch: Der Regenschirm. You must always learn the article in German and it is not like English. In English we have ONE article: THE. Well, in German, similar to Spanish (the only other language I have studied,) there is a masculine, feminine and neutral article.....Enough German lessons for now.

The above photo is the view from our open bedroom window.

3 Comments:

Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Wow - looks like you've got a lot of people living beside you. I love the roof tops of the buildings (1st photo). I don't know why but I just do. It's just so European I guess.

4:45 PM  
Blogger J said...

Actually, English has 3 articles (a, an, the - or arguably 4 if you count the 'zero article').

I agree, though, masculine fem and neut as well as four declinations in German is a bit much.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

See? I told you you have to learn the article! Not learning the article will insure that your grammar will always be shakey.

What's worse about German is that pronouns correspond to the article so that, for example, you don't call coffee "it", you call it "him". Inanimate objects can be called "he" or "she" but something like a baby or a girl is called "it". If you don't learn the correct article you'll never use the right pronoun.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home