Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Gemany-Unraveling an Enigma

I have been reading this book titled "Germany-Unraveling an Enigma." Thanks to Chillmost for his post bringing this to my attention. I am really learning a lot about Germany and how its culture compares to the US. Moreover, why Germans are the way they are. This will prove very useful, I'm sure...One example, on page 40 the author, Greg Nees, informs the reader of Ordnung. Ordnung can be described as a sense of order that permeates the German mindset and expresses itself in all facets of German life. Example: the trains are notoriously on time. The TUV and their ambitious inspections of motor vehicles. I will have more information posted as I read more....I highly recommend this book to any one moving to Germany!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Christof said...

Better don't expect trains to be notoriously on time here, you might get disappointed...

6:01 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Oh yes, the author has the train thing totally wrong. It should read notoriously NOT on time. :-) You'll see.

11:01 PM  
Blogger J said...

I third the trains not being on time thing. They're notoriously late and overpriced.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Naturally there are exceptions to everything. Certainly Germans are into the whole "Ordnung muss sein" thing but then there are the "messies" who live in complete filth. The trains in Germany probably run on time more often than in other countries but they don't have the best track record for punctuality. And while public restrooms in Germany are far superior in cleanliness than what you find in the US, I'm sure there are plenty of nasty ones around as well.

But there are two things that I have not seen any exception to and that's there's a ridiculous amount of bureaucracy in Germany and TÜV inspections are pretty thorough.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

Ditto on the trains. Sometimes they are punctual, but don't count on it. With TÜV, I hear it helps if you "know a guy." The book could use a second edition or at least an online addendum. You'll find out soon enough.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

This looks like another one to add to my reading list. I'll get it once I'm in Germany though - I already have too many books to cart over as it is.

Hope you are enjoying your remaining time. Sounds like your weekend was nice!

4:27 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

I fourth the train thing (but they are better than British Rail)

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Megan said...

Scratch all that train stuff and remember only this: GERMANS are notoriously on time. Not showing up ten minutes later, not 15, but more likely five minutes early.

The concept of German punctuality: This is one of the greatest challenges for all Americans in Germany.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home