Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A Danish village in California



On our road trip north from Los Angeles back to San Francisco we remembered this television special we saw about a Danish settlement in California off Highway 101. It is called Solvang.
Solvang, meaning "Sunny Field", was founded in 1911 by a group of Danish educators from the Midwest who were in search of a site for a Danish-type folk school. Just click on the link in this post for more information. Who would have known there was a Danish village in central California?

2 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Can you believe I've actually been to Solvang? It was in 1974 and I was 11 years old. How time flies.

Sounds like you had a cool trip.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Expat Traveler said...

I've been to Solvang also! My grandmother took my brother and I there when I was looking at a few colleges/universities before 12th grade year for about a week one summer. I loved the little town and wish to go back some time. My parents always spoke of that place. Do you know they have good strawberry pickers there.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home