Sunday, December 25, 2005

Blogs actually do bring people together

When I set out writing this blog, who would have ever thought I would meet in person some great people--fellow bloggers. This past Thursday, I actually met up with HeisseScheisse and her husband in San Francisco. We had some Mexican food, and I learned that the Mexican food in Germany is not the same as it is here in California, more like Spanish-food-wants-to-be-Mexican.

Jen also clued me in on some of the differences between the US and Germany. We sat and laughed about how she was in the grocery store in Germany and was waiting for her items to be bagged and how she had shown up without her own bags. So today, on my way home from Christmas shopping in Union Square, I stopped by Trader Joe's and bought two sturdy grocery bags made out of hemp or linen or some other organic fabric so that I can be well-prepared and equipped for bagging groceries myself. (By the way, I think I do like the German version better since all these Safeway plastic bags that go to waste everyday seems a bit wasteful, not to mention that bagging your own groceries speeds up the checkout a lot).

Coincidentally, Jen is from the San Francisco Bay area and met her German husband in San Francisco so it seems like we have similar stories, and I am looking forward to more meetings with her and Sparky: next time in Germany!

Of course, I want to keep all of you updated on the progress of my move, so here is a photo of what my life currently looks like:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Belinda said...

gawd I'm soooo not looking forward to hauling stuff up and down 5 flights of stairs :( I cry.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and will have an awesome New Years!

1:35 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Heh - "My Life in a Suitcase" , eh?

Well, you couldn't have met a nicer couple than Jen and Sparky. I've also had the pleasure of spending some time with them at the expat meet-up and it was great.

It's already the 26th here but Merry Christmas to you anyway!

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Adam said...

I hope your first few days go swimmingly well... and a great tip about the grocery sacks.... I always have one in my backpack, whenever I go out.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Ahhhh...excellent tip. Never be without a grocery sack!

Wait until you see how much you have to handle your food before you get it home. First it goes in your basket, then you take it out to have it scanned and you put it back into your cart (unless you're only buying four things and you can bag it as it's scanned) and then you move to the side where you bag up your purchases.

There's no one but yourself to blame if your chips get smashed.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Expat Traveler said...

Also remember that most of the food you will make from scratch. I personally love european grocery stores better.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

James,

Thanks for your nice comments in my blog. I know exactly what you mean about not being sure what you feel. I've been through the whole range of possible emotions the last couple of days.

I hope the last few days are good for reflecting and absorbing what is happening right now. My boyfriend will leave a couple of days before me next week too so I'll be in the same boat.

As far as the groceries, I've been very happy with the food in Germany. So many people say how it sucks but in the time I've been there the fresh produce, the bread, the meat (in spite of meat scandals) have all been so good. I find myself missing a lot of it when I'm in the States. I'm sure you already know what it's like but that's my two cents.

Hope you have a safe trip over if I don't say hi before then!

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home